Friday, March 18, 2011

How to Get an Entry Level Job: A Personal Story by an Old Guy

My very short history. I have no college degree. I was lucky to arrive at financial independence at age 33. I love to work, so full retirement was out of the question. I got calls to assist in one project after another. Eventually, I realized that I was now a consultant, or contract worker. I love contracting so much that I would never have taken a single job had I known way back in high school about the world of contracting.

For the past 20 years I have almost never looked for work. The phone rings and someone is asking if I am available. A job may last a few weeks, or a couple of years. Sometimes I take off for months or years, to do something personal.

I work under three conditions. First, it must offer something new, so that I can learn. Secondly, it must pay me 2-3 times what I am worth. That way I am able to work half time and get full pay. Thirdly, they must promise to fire me at the end. I am not looking for a real job, only temporary work.

Actually the second one is partially a joke. I have been so interested in a job that I will work for little or nothing. I can afford it. That is freedom. About three calls come in for every job I take. I reject the other two.

Finding work is a job in itself. If you want a 40 hour a week job, then spend 40 hours, or more a week going after it. If you can't do that, then you won't likely succeed in the job anyway.

By far the best thing to do is use your network for getting the inside track on jobs that might come open. However, if that fails, then here is another approach. I suggest doing both at the same time.

What do young inexperienced applicants do? They go into a place of business and ask for an application. They spend 30 minutes filling it out and handing it over.

That was the first chance for the applicant to make an impression and it didn't happen.

First, prepare a “package” rather than doing what everyone else does, asking for the application. The package should contain 4 items.

1. Application
2. Resume
3. Cover letter
4. Business card

My first draft is over 1100 words and this is the first installment. Please leave comments first, if this is of interest, I will expound on each item with later installments.

No comments:

Post a Comment